Akamai Technologies is the leading content delivery network (CDN) services provider for media and software delivery, and cloud security solutions. On searching for the installed programs on your computer, you will come across an installed program Akamai Netsession Interface, which is used for improved media exchange and download within your windows 10. Akamai netsession is a useful tool, and due to the lack of knowledge, users simply seek to delete Akamai from their computers. We have gathered all the information related to Akamai Netsession client that you should be knowing before deleting Akamai.
Akamai Netsession Interface
Talking in simple words, Akamai Netsession is basically a sophisticated download manager that helps the windows to increase the speed of uploads and downloads from the internet. It helps you to download applications, media, videos, software, etc, at a very fast and reliable speed every trusted source.
Akamai Netsession helps to download the content available over the internet in the form of peer to peer networking. It starts downloading the content by dividing it into small blocks. Akamai Netsession Interface helps you to download the content with more quality and reliability. Thus this is basically the Internet Download manager that gets embedded onto your Windows 10 and gives you with quality downloads.
Akamai Netsession Features:
- Akamai is a software which helps to deliver faster, more reliable downloads.
- This is an extension of Akamai’s global server network that helps companies and their customers complete downloads easily.
- It is extremely secure and supports SSL security.
- Downloads the Media in blocks or peers that make the quick and safe download.
- Maintains a safe download environment and keeps you away from spammy downloads.
- Helps to download and install Windows updates issued by Microsoft.
Stop / Disable Akamai NetSession Interface
Akamai Netsession Client is one of the important elements that are available in your computer’s OS files. Since it helps in boosting the download for your PC, we suggest you keep the tool, still, if you want then you can remove Akamai from your PC, simply using the following methods.
I. Temporarily Stop Akamai Netsession Client
It is a temporary solution to get rid of Akamai Netsession client from your PC. Before you move forward to uninstall Akamai from your PC, you shall try to disable it from your system files and check for any difference in the working of your computer. Any data that is already in process of the download will be dropped and you have to re-download the file again.
Follow the steps below to Disable Akamai Netsession Client from your PC,
- Open Control Panel on Windows,
- Open System Preferences if you have a Mac computer,
- Go to Preference tab,
- Locate NetSession service,
- Click the stop button to stop the service.
You can follow the above steps and click on the Start button in place of stop option. It would be a good choice if you keep Akamai Enabled. But if you are facing any problem like High Disk Usage in Windows 10, while downloading files or media, then you shall simply Enable Akamai Netsession Client again. Keep in mind that if you are unable to turn on Akamai, then you shall restart your computer. restarting your computer will enable akamai once again.
II. Uninstall Akamai NetSession Client
After you have disabled Akamai Temporarily and seeking to simply uninstall it from our computer, then you can uninstall Akamai by using these steps:
For Windows Users:
- Click Start Menu in Windows 10 or any other version of Windows,
- Click on Control Panel
- Go to Add or Remove Programs,
- Click Ctrl + F, now type and locate Akamai NetSession Interface / netsession_win.exe
- Select and click Change/Remove button
- Now Click Yes when the system asks for your permission to uninstall Akamai NetSession
- Follow the instructions and you will uninstall Akamai from your PC.
For MAC Users:
- Open the Finder tool,
- Search for NetSession Interface / netsession_mac,
- Open the folder containing Akamai,
- You should see the uninstaller app along with other files, Or Simply long press on the file and click the cross (x) button,
- Follow on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
III. Remove Using Command Prompt
This is the ultimate method to remove Akamai or any other tool like Service Host in windows 10. You can easily remove Akamai using the Command prompt in Windows or MAC. Follow the steps to completely remove Akamai from your PC.
For Windows Users:
- Press Start button on your Taskbar or press Windows key with your keyboard.
- Click the Search bar
- Type Command Prompt or CMD,
- Command Prompt will now open,
- Now you have to open and access NetSession installer folder using DOS commands
- Type in the following commands: ( Press Enter After Each Command )
- Now Type admintool.exe uninstall –force
- Finally, press Enter,
- It will take a few seconds to uninstall the Akamai tool from your computer permanently.
For MAC Users:
- Go to Applications,
- Open Utility Folder,
- Now left-click Terminal and click Open,
- Now you have to go to the Akamai NetSession installation folder using the Terminal,
- It’s usually located at ~/Applications/Akamai,
- Now in the terminal, type the following command and press Return key,./admintool uninstall –force
- Wait a few seconds for the process to complete.
What is Akamai Netsession Client?
Is Akamai Netsession Client a virus?
On installing Akamai Netsession Client from any third party servers or when it gets installed during Windows Update, or along with any other software, your antivirus can mark Akamai as SPAM. However, there is no need to worry as there is no threat to your PC or your personal settings/files from Akamai.
You can without any concern allow netsession_win.exe or netsession_mac through your antivirus as it is a tool that helps you to download media from the internet and is installed by your permissions. You can uninstall/remove/disable akamai netsession interface anytime from your PC.
Where Akamai is installed?
As Akamai is the system tool which gets embedded in your Operating System, you will be able to find it in your system files. In windows, it can be found in Services option in Control Panel, whereas in MAC OS, it is available in system preferences.
What is Akamai Netsession Interface?
Akamai Netsession Interface is neither a virus nor a security threat to your computer. It is an interface that helps you to pump up your downloads and upload speeds. Since this interface is used by many companies to simply update the servers of the heavy equipment/computers. This interface is frequently used by many internet and data companies. Not only internet related but also the joints and organizations like NASA, ISRO, Russian Space Center, etc have also been using Akamai Netsession Interface to anytime upgrade their servers and files.
Akamai Netsession Client, Should I remove it?
You can uninstall or remove Akamai Netsession Interface Anytime from your computer. It does not make any harm to your system and helps out the computer to get faster download speeds. Akamai helps you to update your computer in less time by downloading the files in the form of peers.
- It is not spyware, malware, or other intrusive software.
- Since it is not a security threat and does not view or share any private data on your machine.
- The company itself says, “It is not permanently installed on your machine; you have the option to remove it at any time.”
How Akamai Netsession Interface Works?
Akamai is one of the leading and biggest content delivery network. Akamai delivers 95 exabytes of data a year. There is no impact of speed on your internet, neither it keeps any space or memory reserved for the downloads. Akamai Technologies does not cause high internet uses and will help you to decrease your internet bills by providing peer to peer connection.
What is a content delivery network?
Content delivery networks ensure the high speed to the users seeking data transfer from their computers. Since it helps in reducing the response time of the computer pages and gives ore faster page loading systems. Major sites like Facebook, Netflix, Amazon, etc. use CDN.Major of internet traffic serving via CDNS. If the site uses CDN;
- Will Improve page load times,
- Will save bandwidth (Decrease Bandwidth cost),
- Improve content availability,
- Get Better Website Security
What is the latency?
Latency is several kinds of delays. A good network has low latency. Latency is getting bigger when the distance is getting higher. Therefore Content delivery networks can decrease it. Latency will be under 100 ms on DSL or cable internet. Under 25 is often. Satellite connections have more latency like 500 ms.